Chuckles, the Farm Dog, on Sunflowers

The Sunflow’r, thinking ’twas for him foul shame
To nap by daylight, strove t’ excuse the blame;

Photo source: Wikimedia Common

It was not sleep that made him nod, he said,
But too great weight and largeness of his head.

~Abraham Cowley

Hey Guys, I decided to take a break from my usual dog naps and tell you how much I love the sunflower. I LOVE THEM!! I’m hoping Sunshine will plant oodles of them and soon! She claims memory loss last summer and boy, I really missed looking at how their tall stalks swayed with the wind and how the birds would come over to get a few seeds. I occasionally stalked out the birds to try to nab me one, but as you know, I’m a rather large fellow. Birds flew away before I even get my fanny off the ground. Gosh darn!!

Yeah, I love gazing up at them as I lay around dozing during the day and they are just beauuutiful.

I was up last night singing barking and in between my rendition of Peaceful Easy Feeling, I surfed Wikipedia and found the sunflower is very popular! Check out how many places think the sunflower is hot enough to be called their own famous flower:

• UKRAINE– it’s their national flower! Right on, right on!
  • JAPAN, Kitakyushu–this is their city flower. I love this city!
  • UNITED STATES, Kansas–smart folks here named it their state flower. Woof!
  • VEGAN SOCIETY–these healthy folks made the sunflower their symbol. Way cool!

Now, the puzzling fact is how the sunflower doesn’t really track the sun unless it’s a young bud or the leaves. You see, the dog next door told me if I watch the sunflower, I would see *heliotropism * taking place.

She’s a know-it-all type mutt so, of course, she had to take it upon herself to explain what that * *word was.

What? Do I have stupid written across my furry face, next door, female mutt?? I told her, it’s when a plant tries to run after the sun! She just gave me the evil eye of hers, kicked dirt up my leg and high-tailed back to her deck!

Well, phooey, who needs her, right? And I wasn’t singing Peaceful Easy Feeling to ya, Miss know-it-all!

I hope you enjoyed a bit of science nature time with me, Chuckles, and until the next time we meet, plant sunflowers this summer!!

Chuckles LOVES sunflowers but tell me what's your favorite flower!!

Or, maybe you have another fave flower you would love to see blooming soon? Tell me, tell me!!

All my *woof-woof* hugs and slobbery kisses,

Chuckles, the farm dog.

22 thoughts on “Chuckles, the Farm Dog, on Sunflowers

1. orples says:

I too like sunflowers in the background of a bed. They seem to be a natural, growing tall above the average flowers, but for cut arrangements, it’s hard to find a better flower than a carnation. They last for at least two weeks if you feed and water them. Then again, you can’t eat their seeds. That means brownie points for the beautiful sunflower, of course. 🙂

Hiya Orples! Chuckles here and I love laying in flower beds. I’m suspecting this is one of the main reasons Sunshine hasn’t done much flower planting lately. *sigh* I mean, I love the beautiful carnations and yes, they stay so pretty for so long. I’m fat and furry and those flower beds are not only a cool place to lay around on but the scent is heavenly! Oh, and since the sunflowers provide lots of nice shade for me, I would think two or three brownies would be an enjoyable snack. Come on over anytime, we can just hang out in the garden and eat brownies all day. hehe. 🙂
      Woof, gotta run after that rabbit, Orples! See ya!

Morning Glories are so simple in construction but oh, so pretty Babyjill. This is Chuckles and I forgot about the flower that brings much brightness to my mornings. WOW, I can actually see it growing if I watch real close?? I’m gonna tell Sunshine to plant it so I can make the know-it-all female mutt next door go green with envy. Of course, the mutt will probably have some high and mighty science lesson about the Morning Glory but hopefully not. I just want to enjoy looking at it. Is it easy to grow?

Hey Belle, its Chuckles and woo-hoo, another family that loves sunflowers! I hope you are planning to grow some this summer and if Sunshine doesn’t plant any, I may have to trot over to your place so I can just sit and enjoy the sunflowers. That is if you don’t mind. I may drool all over your kids but, hey, nothing major. Thanks for talking to this lonely farm dog! Woof, Chuckles 🙂

2. Sonel says:

What a stunning shot! I love sunflowers too! Chuckles is just too adorable for words! Great post and lots of hugs and kisses to Chuckles. 🙂

Woof! Sonel, thank you so much for your kind words and coming by to talk with me. The advantage of a farm dog like myself is I get to borrow photos from the internet since it’s a bit of a challenge trying to hold a camera and take actual photos. Far easier for me to just hit the keyboard button when I see a photo I like. Hehe…I would give you a big doggie hug but since I had a,ahem, a friendly encounter with a skunk last night, Sunshine said I have to talk to you from the barn!
      Thank you!!

• Sonel says:

Now that is quite an advantage Chuckles..you get to use all the good excuses..heheheheh.
        Oh my dear! Now that is not good news at all but tell Sunshine that I am not afraid of a little smell..heheheh. Believe me, if you’ve worked for a veterinarian you get used to all kinds of smells and I think in actual fact, my sinuses are so blocked most of the times I won’t even smell the skunk. LOL!
        Well, take care and thanks for the chat you adorable furry hunk!
        *smooches and a big hug*

3. island traveler says:

I love Sun flowers too. I think they reflect the Sun’s amazing glow and make our day cheerful simply by looking at them. And Chuckles looks seem to be saying, ” Sun flowers are the best!” wonderful post. Beautiful images . thanks.

Sunflowers are the way to get to my heart Island Traveler . . . you are right on when you say it just makes your day cheerful just gazing at them. As a farm dog, I have lots of time to laze and gaze! I betcha some of the varieties would be just as tall as your little son! My big slobbery kisses to you! Woof, Chuckles!

*tail wagging* and happy you love sunflowers too Otto! It’s a nice sunny day today so gotta run along for my daily snooze, well, after my doggie bath. Yuck. Thanks for visiting this farm dog and big slobbery loves . . . Chuckles 🙂

4. angelswhisper2011 says:

Chuckles, great post and you’re very funny 😀 I love Gerberas, they are also family of the Sunflower, but a lot smaller and more colorful, they give me that peaceful easy feeling.. 😀

Hmmm, Gerberas you say Angelswhisper? I have to tell Sunshine to go get some since it sounds like . . . what? You say it gives you peaceful easy feelings? Okay, I gotta get me some!! Ooohh, I can’t wait!