SUNDAY POST: Blossoms–Raw & Nourishing

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. ~Marcel Proust (Brainyquote.com)

On days when my brain decides a healthier lifestyle is in order, eavesdroppers can get entertained with silly notions from my rambling brain as it obsessively attempts to take me down the raw food highway. Check it out for yourself.

“Go outside and collect some blossoms from the garden, Sunshine. You know, the edible ones . . . make sure um, no pesticides or any animal has dropped its disgusting poop on it. There are plenty of apple and orange blossoms about and the squash blossoms always add a colorful treat to any raw salad.”

It’s time to take up the raw food lifestyle and you know it! Stop putting if off and for crying out loud, quit buying all that junk food! I’m the brain here and regardless of what body tells you, drinking coke and eating chips and chocolate candy bars are not going to wear well on you in the next few years.

Let’s see, I think this should be a good place to start . . .”

The ultimate way to start any day is with a tasty plate of fresh squash blossom salad and loving companions who bring much happiness. . . --Photo source: Google Images

May all your days be filled with charming gardeners that attentively work at nourishing your soul to blossom to its fullest potential!

Have you a favorite blossom(s) you like to prepare into your salads?

Sunshine xoxo

Created especially for Jakesprinter, SUNDAY POST : Blossom.

39 thoughts on “SUNDAY POST: Blossoms–Raw & Nourishing

1. Sonel says:

Such a beautiful photo and no, I’ve never even thought of eating blossoms. I do however see the vervet monkeys do that very often and I am sure if they eat it, it will be safe for us to do as well but I never had a taste for it though. 🙂
    Lovely post and great entry. 🙂

Thank you for your thoughtful conversation Sonel and I, like you, did not realize one could eat the apple blossoms. Hmm, learn something everyday and one of the good things that come from blogging. 🙂
      ~Abundant blessings to you!

• Sonel says:

Now that is the whole truth and nothing but the truth Sunshine. 🙂 We do learn every day and every minute. Thanks again for a lovely post. 🙂
        *hugs and blessings*

Well, Dadirri, I think you must be giving my brain some pep talk/coaching skills. *hearty laughter*
      At least I’ve tried, and liked, the day lily in a salad. Slow and steady . . . thank you and no more talking to my brain about less meat! Lol!! Have a lovely week!

2. fgassette says:

They say you learn something every day and they are right. I surely didn’t know you could eat blossoms. Thanks for the education.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

It was my pleasure Francine and let’s give a standing ovation *clap-clap* to Jakesprinter for the inspiration! ~Have a wonderful week ahead! 🙂

3. jakesprinter says:

Great entry Sunshine the fish is ready now I grilled it, I put tomato, onion ,pepper,inside of its a good idea if this grilled fish become a toppings in your blossom salads. lol,

4. Lynne Ayers says:

Good post for ‘blossom’ – I have let slip past my palette such items as nasturium flowers from the garden, the heads of bullrushes from the ditches, dandelion leaves from my lawn, watercress picked fresh stream-side, and swamp marigolds from the roadside but it is crucial that marsh marigolds are not eaten raw. They contain poisonous glucoside that is expelled during boiling.

Hi Lynne,
      I didn’t know about marsh marigolds and thanks for the heads up! Yikes!!
      Nasturium and day lilies are okay, but I’ve yet to pick the dandelion from the roadside and begin munching. I think I’ve become very spoiled with the produce packaged so nicely over at the supermarket. 🙂 Thanks for your lovely conversation and have a great week ahead!

• Lynne Ayers says:

‘Course, there’s also dandelion wine, which my mother made once. The supermarket aisle is definitely easier and I’m not as adventurous as I once was.

Now dandelion wine sounds like an interesting drink to experience. Did you have a sip? How was the taste? So interesting, and how your mum made it also sounds like a neat project, especially since you get wine as the end product! lol! 🙂 Cheers!

• Lynne Ayers says:

Actually, I think the dandelion wine, if I remember correctly, didn’t complete it’s fermenting stage – I think the fermentation locks on the carboys popped, or something just as technical, so no, I don’t recall tasting it.

I find it amazing in itself that someone can make wine from the dandelion weed! I’m so glad you mentioned it. Thanks Lynne! 🙂
        Have a wonderful and healthy week ahead!

5. orples says:

If a flower is edible to an animal, there is no reason humans can’t chow down too. Think about the other plants we eat, I think it is a great idea to check out a few flower blossums. They sure do dress up the diner plate as well. 🙂

Sometimes a challenge to eat healthier especially when your body loves junk but you’re right Orples, colorful blossoms do make the plate a bit more appealing! Thanks for adding your colorful conversation and I also enjoyed your visit . . . may you find all your plans fulfilled this week! 🙂

Hehe Mothergrogan, I went there! Lol! Congratulations and thank you for sending over another round–more the merrier is the mantra for blogging awards. So it seems. I’ll get my staff writer Chuckles, the farm dog, working on it hopefully soon. *sigh* hard to get good help these days!
      In the meantime, thank you! 🙂

6. Angelique says:

A sunny-looking dish. Recently I have seen more salads decorated with edible flowers. I’m interested to try it. I have never eaten a flower so I wonder what they taste like. Do apple blossoms vaguely taste like the fruit?

Hey Angelique, I’m not sure what an apple blossom taste like. I only learned about it recently while looking up information for Jakesprinter: Sunday Post.

Squash blossoms and day lilies to me have very little taste. Bland, but so pretty on the salad plate!
      If you try any edible flowers I hope you blog about it so we can see how it taste and if we should follow your example. 🙂
      I enjoyed our conversation and thank you for visiting.

7. philosophermouseofthehedge says:

Unprocessed food is good, easy, healthy, and portable…just do a little research, know the source, clean stuff appropriately, and start slowly ( so as not to upset the tummy!)….and it’s still OK to enjoy a little meat – moderation and balance in everything! (except laughter…need lots of joy for good health!)

I love your words . . . ‘need lots of joy for good health!’ So true Philo mouse, so will stock up the pantry with lots & lots of laughter and go veeerrry slowly with the healthy. 😉
      Thank you!!

8. katehobbs says:

In addition to those flowers mentioned above, don’t forget pansies, violets, borage flowers, carnations, chives, roses, runner bean flowers. Salads will never be the same again…..

Wait, Kate, you mean, one can eat carnations? The ones that come in the flower arrangement vases?
      Hmm, is the runner bean flowers from the green bean plants? This is so interesting. You are so right, salads are transforming into an enjoyable adventure! Thank you!!

• katehobbs says:

Yep carnations as in the flower arrangements – they have a peppery taste. The smaller “pinks” are probably better. Runner beans are those you grow up a bean framework and can be about 8 inches long when fully grown and ready to eat, depending on variety. We have a lot of varieties in the UK. The flowers are lovely to eat.

9. island traveler says:

Fresh squash salad…mmmmm, I need to try this. Looks delicious…plus just so healthy. These words were beautiful, “Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. ” indeed we should, always….Thanks. Just beautiful….

Squash blossoms are indeed tasty and oh, so colorful too! I hope you can find a few to add to your salads. Wonderful to have charming bloggers who inspire our souls to blossom! Thanks Island traveler . . . 😉

10. angelswhisper2011 says:

When I was young I ate the blossom of nettles and they tasted very good. I drink tea of violets and more kinds of flowers, but I shall ask my grandson what flower is the most tasty one 😀

Nettles and violet tea sounds intriguing to me. Now, did you pick the nettles yourself or did you get them from a shop?
      Sometimes I go to the health food store to find so many interesting and different things to try.
      Violet tea sounds tasty . . .
      Wonderful thoughts Angelswhisper and I appreciate you coming on by. Have a cheery day! 🙂

• angelswhisper2011 says:

I picked them by myself, because when they are in bloom they don’t hurt you. Nowadays I make it easier to myself and buy them in the shop. I don’t really like the taste of most of the flowers, try dandelion for example, but it’s so good for your organes, so the thought is making that it taste better 😀