Culture and the Open Market

Flies. Non-refrigerated seafood and uncovered hanging meats. Street dust. When shopping at an open market, what may appear unsanitary and culturally shocking to some, may simply be another ordinary market day.

A delightful meeting place for flies and bacteria!
-photo source: Wikipedia

The displaying of certain food products at an open market may be affected by the culture of a country.

Some cultures demand that each vendor pass strict health inspections and get a variety of business licenses before selling at any open market business. Creating a culture of proper food handling and storage is usually the goal for the health department staff, so sanitation and cleanliness are two focal areas.

The open market found in health regulated cultures typically are cleaner and more modern.   Enclosed refrigerated units, house meats and seafood so bacteria levels are kept low due to the cool temperatures and flies and other insects are unable to dine uninvited! Dust is kept to a minimum by individually packaging the  foods and locating the market on a paved instead of an unfinished dirt surface.

Have you noticed the average healthy human body has an amazing ability to adjust itself to survive?

Unregulated, unhealthy open markets commonly exists in may cultures today, yet, despite the flies, dirt and bacteria, the people who consume the food products endure and continue to raise many generations to follow in the everyday culture of the open markets.

Are you culturally shocked or pleasantly pleased with your local open market displays?

Created especially for: SUNDAY POST: Culture.

10 thoughts on “Culture and the Open Market

1. Colline says:

As you say, it depends on what you are used to. I think the people who frequent open markets and such probably have a stronger immune system than those who eat only from sealed packages. I know I have not yet been sick from eating food I have bought on from vendors on the street or at open markets.

Now that’s a good thing to build up the immune system and Colline, I would rather shop at an open market myself. Just wish sometimes the flies would go shopping elsewhere! *sigh* Have a wonderful rest of the week! 🙂

2. Sheila Hurst says:

The open markets do at least show the truth of what a dead animal looks like, rather than the neat ready-to-cook packages. I like the energy of open markets – much more fun than the usual grocery store.

Now that you mention it Sheila, it seems the people at the open markets are a lively bunch–lots of talking and I love watching the kids as they curiously look and touch all the fruits and vegetables. Thank you! 🙂

3. angelswhisper2011 says:

I like the market, it´s a great place to be with all the different cultures and all kinds of food and I´ve never been sick of the food over here in the Netherlands, but last year when we were in Turkey and ate something on the market my husband was food-poisened, but I am not, and the next day I was food-poisened at the Hotel 😦

Nothing worse than food making you feel like your insides are on the outside of your body! Ugh!! I think you just demonstrated how a body can get adjust to different levels of bacteria and germs . . . perhaps you and your husband now have a higher immunity to whatever made you sick over in Turkey. That would be a yay!! ~Have a great day Angelswhisper! 🙂