An Arranged Affair of a Departed Soul

Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you’re there. ~Ray Bradbury

A traditional Catholic faith remains here.

An altar boy putting the final arrangements before a funeral Mass.

It doesn’t matter what you do, he said, so as long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that’s like you after you take your hands away. ~Ray Bradbury

The last procession to the burial ground where family and friends will be arranged standing around the coffin, speaking of  their sorrows and reluctantly sending their final good-bye wishes to the one that got called away.

Perhaps, in one of our spare moments, (haha) we should reflect on what arrangements we need to make before we kick-the-bucket and lighten the load of our loved ones we certainly don’t plan to leave behind on purpose, but, leaving, as we all know, will eventually become a reality for each one of us. Young or old, death comes at any age.
Simply be ready.

He that always waits upon God is ready whenever He calls. Neglect not to set your accounts even; he is a happy man who to lives as that death at all times may find him at leisure to die. ~Owen Feltham

How have you arranged  or would like to have your special affair arranged when the time comes to journey onto the next higher road?

created especially for: Weekly Photo Challenge: Arranged

20 thoughts on “An Arranged Affair of a Departed Soul

Hi Judy, It was my pleasure to have you be part of my post and oops, I was trying to make a simple point but guess it got deeper than expected! Thank you!! 🙂

I’m pretty much always ready to go Home–although those closest to me say that I’ll undoubtedly be in the middle of a conversation, and say, “hold on a sec, Lord–just let me tell one last thing?” God bless you today.

Haha Caddo! You are smashing-ly funny with your words . . hold on a sec! I think I can imagine God grinning and enjoying your conversations! 🙂 You just made my day! Thanks!! 🙂

2. katehobbs says:

I want mine to be a celebration. Yes, there will be tears I’m sure but there will be much to celebrate. No old hymns that are durges, but uplifting Kingdom songs that tell of God’s glory, who He is, and what He is doing and has done…..
    After all, the Kingdom is not about me, it’s all about Him.
    Thanks for the pingback.
    Kate

You are welcomed Kate and an arranged uplifting celebration with glorious songs for His glory would be a touching affair as we depart onto the next journey. Thank you for sharing in the conversation. . .

3. dadirri7 says:

wonderful topic, so thoughtful, and thought-provoking! i do agree with being prepared, having arrangements in place, now just have to get around to it 🙂

Good on ya Angelswhisper! The final arrangements made ahead of time gives less headache for those left behind and more time for grieving and healing.
      ~Have a sunshiny day! 🙂 Give a little pat to your kitty-kats!!