Nature’s Blood Sucker

Summer is quickly approaching in my part of town. Temperatures are rising and so are the bugs. I’m an easy-going person by nature, and most insects have a worry free lifestyle if they happen to mosey in around my personal space. That is, unless the bug is . . .

A Mosquito feeding on blood

. . . a Mosquito feeding on blood

then, too bad. I am not sorry. Ever.

Dead mosquito

Splat! Whack!! Now a very, very dead mosquito!

Can you blame me? I mean really. Most of us know the simple facts about this little blood sucker.

• If a sucker is lurking somewhere in your sleeping quarters, how is it, as soon as you turn off the lights, it zips right on over to your ears to buzz the lights back on in your room?
  • Did you know the word mosquito, comes from the Spanish and Portuguese and means, little fly. Figures. Flies are just as bothersome at a summer picnic as the little fly is on a hot summer night when one is trying to get some sleep!
  • Get this one. Some mosquito species prefer to attack people only in the forest, while others prefer a higher class of blood and attack people only indoors!
  • Now, my simple mind did not know that there are some mosquito species that never partake in blood sucking activities. Well, they must live on some remote island, far, far away from me. And of the species that I splat and whack the daylights out of, only the females are vampires.
  • Of course, you know how some mosquito species carry the potential diseases such as malaria, yellow fever and the West Nile virus. Well, guess which sex, male or female mosquito carries it? Uh huh. The elderly female mosquito! WHAT!?!

I hear some of you male human species chuckling and carrying on with some snide remarks about us females. Not funny.

Anyway, if you are planning to enjoy the beauty of nature somewhere near a  mosquito population,  here is a simple solution:

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin: That’s the problem with nature. Something’s always stinging you or oozing mucus on you.

Let’s go watch TV. ~Bill Watterson

(Er, I think one should add, go watch TV and spray bug spray to ward away the indoor blood suckers.)

May you enjoy a day in nature, without a female “little fly” to bother you!

If you are looking for a weekly inspiration, please join our community of Sunday Post bloggers over at Jakesprinter: SUNDAY POST: Nature.

See ya!

23 thoughts on “Nature’s Blood Sucker

1. viviankirkfield says:

What a great post! One of the reasons I love living in Colorado as opposed to the NYC/CT area…no bugs here!!!! At least not many…no mosquitos, no black flies, no gnats!!!!
    The Calvin and Hobbs cartoon is priceless…thank you so much for sharing!

Oh!! How lucky Vivian to live in a place with very little little fly vampires! I’m going to look into Colorado . . . sounds quite appealing! Thank you!! 🙂

Lol Jo!! Some of those suckers seem to be getting bigger every year!! Hope they don’t get to be “bird” size!! Yikes! Thanks for the thumbs up! 🙂

Not so nice for dead little fly eh, Jake? Oh, that’s what happens when it crossed the line of of my laid back nature! hehe, I heard you laughing from over here!! Have a great week and laugh away! It’s music to my ears! 🙂

2. mj monaghan says:

Mosquitoes LOVE me, and I will squish them DEAD at every opportunity.

I can’t go into a forest, near water, or any other place where they exist without getting several bites.

Yep, picture #2 is the one I like to see. Sorry, bug lovers – just can’t handle them!

Thank you Sakti . . . I am currently having internet too-slow-to open posts so I will have to return a bit later to read your story of an irritating companion. Be back shortly and thanks for dropping in for a visit! 🙂

3. angelswhisper2011 says:

Sunshine, because of the climate change, these bugs are not out of sight anymore, at least not in the Netherlands. We were hoping to get rid of the mosquitoes for a while, but as soon as the sun begins to shine, they’re like to say: “Hello…. is it me you’re looking for 😦

Angelswhisper, you would think the cold weather would be an excellent exterminator for these little pesky bugs, but nooo, they keep coming back!! Sheesh!

4. philosophermouseofthehedge says:

I hate mosquitoes – they are already horrendous here. I’m so allergic. If there’s one mosquito and a crowd of thousands of people, I’m the one that gets bitten. At night, I turn off the light knowing there’s one lurking somewhere in the room.and it’s going to immediately bite me on the face and it will swell up like crazy. AAARRRGGGHHH. (And I, too love Colorado where I can have a normal outdoors life…just can’t earn a living there. SIGH)

I’ve only been in the Colorado airport, but how nice it would be to live in a place with relatively few biting bugs!
      Okay, time to get the German out and put him (is it a him?) to work . . . ah, the movies. Land a big pooch role and then you can go live over in Colorado while German pays the bills!! Go on German, time to go to work . . . the director is calling on you! 🙂 Lol!

5. orples says:

I tend to be very protective of wasps and people think I’m nuts. But wasps thrive on mosquitoes, and are also cowards, so if you don’t bother them, they won’t bother you. I like that photo of the dead mosquito … that’s the only way I like them, at all. 🙂

I didn’t know wasps thrive on mosquito. Now what a dilemma! Okay, guess I’ll let the wasps alone for now and hope they eat every mosquito in the world!! 🙂
      Thanks for the mini nature lesson Orples 😉

• orples says:

You are welcome. I think a lot of people are unaware of what a benefit wasps really are, which is why I mentioned it. Bats are mosquito eaters too. I’ve put bat houses out to attract them for that very reason.

Wow! Bats and wasps . . . who would think they be so handy to have around. I don’t see many bats and probably would not mind seeing them, however, going to need some time adjusting to the wasps hanging around. 🙂