A Clean Recipe

English: Woman doing laundry in Chennai, India...

Join me in some fun-in-the-sun . . . Monday Wash Day!

Remember every Monday morning when your mother, (hehe)  and other ladies from the village would walk down to the river  to take part in the social ritual of washing the family clothes?

Well, most likely, the most popular detergent was either the best river current or a flat durable stone.

According to Wikipedia:

Agitation helps remove the dirt, so the laundry is often rubbed, twisted, or slapped against flat rocks. Wooden bats or clubs could be used to help with beating the dirt out. These were often called washing beetles or bats and could be used by the waterside on a rock (a beetling-stone), on a block (battling-block), or on a board.

You got the laundry detergent?

Some of our mothers, (another, hehe) didn’t have the luxury of a running stream. The task of boiling water in large metal cauldrons and using the hot water to remove the dirt from the clothes, was the alternative to agitating and rock pounding.  Also, according to Wikipedia,

. . .”wooden or stone scrubbing surfaces set up near a water supply or portable washboards, including factory-made corrugated metal ones, gradually replaced rocks as a surface for loosening soil.”

"How did this stain get here??"

How thankful I am that the river and container method of washing clothes has been completely revolutionized and transformed!  With inventions like the washing machine, special cleaning products like . . .

Various chemicals may be used to increase the solvent power of water, such as the compounds in soaproot or yucca-root used by Native American tribes, or the ash lye once widely used for soaking laundry in Europe. Soap, a compound made from lye and fat, is an ancient and common laundry aid. Modern washing machines typically use powdered or liquid laundry detergent in place of more traditional soap. ~Wikipedia

I may not have rivers or rocks to launder the dirt out of my dirty clothes but something just as cool. Check it out! Your hippie-ness will dig it, man!

The HOMEMADE LAUNDRY SOAP RECIPE!

4  Cups – hot tap water
Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup – Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

For the complete recipe, click on The Secret  Simple Recipe . . .

The Secret Simple Recipe: Homemade Laundry Soap!

Peace and love,

Sunshine xoxo

Inspiration: SUNDAY POST: Recipe.

Photo credits: Wikipedia

23 thoughts on “A Clean Recipe

First, YAY! So happy to see your smiling face and second, maybe those rocks would turn to sand after you got done with your “dreaded” laundry load! But your clothes would be spotless! 🙂

1. island traveler says:

I remember those days when we go around the countryside and women would wash clothes while socializing at the same time. Then came the water wells which to this day, people still use to wash their clothes. I admire the “homemade cleaner recipe.” People forget that before the washing machine and detergents, there were basic stuff that works as well. Thanks for sharing. Wonderful post.

Hello Island Traveler! I would love to walk down with a bunch of friends and chit-chat while doing the laundry! I bet those women looked forward to wash days! I’d be like, “hey, how long before wash day because you just gotta hear what happened to so and so, blah, blah . . .! 🙂
      Thanks for sharing and visiting!

2. Rana Armoush says:

Thank you Sunshine for reminding me of how luxurious life was in the old days, hehehe. I have been wishing for a time machine to go back in time, but after reading your post I remembered how much I love my washing machine 🙂 I’m even thinking of rewarding it for all the hard work she saves me:p
    A very cute post, love it!

I guess in every space and time there are some good and then, not so good things to live with. Modern washing machines is a definite good invention. Glad to see you Rana! ~Abundant blessings to you . . .

Jake, I’m a disaster in the kitchen so I try very hard not to cook anything with a recipe but making laundry soap has been a success. Go figure eh? Thanks for your Sunday Post! You Rock!

3. suitablefish says:

I just got a washing machine, first in my adult life! I’ve done the metal pan, the plunger, the something-or-other that I hand cranked and it spun around, a dishpan in the tub. . . I’m washing whites right now and I feel like I’m in heaven. I feel some kinship. Fun and great post.

OH! What wonderful news Suitable fish! Modern washing machines are amazing inventions . . . they get more amazing with every new model! I’m rejoicing with you!! 🙂

One thing great about doing laundry at a laundromat is no repair or replacement costs for broken appliances! Thanks Colline for stopping by and sharing. 🙂

4. orples says:

It really makes having an automatic washer and dryer look like a luxury, when you stop to think about some of the things many of us take for granted. Great post!

I dare say the social networking sites have not been a satisfactory substitute for community laundry day– God bless you today, Sunshine!

You are so right Caddo . . . thank you for adding a new dimension and perhaps, as humans, we still need real life connections in order to feel totally complete. 🙂

Those ladies back then are heroes in my eyes. Laundry days are a breeze compared to the work they put in! I bet your grandmother had the hands to show the labor too. Thanks for sharing a treasured moment in your life Angelswhisper.

And Eliz, the best things about wash days down by the river are not only getting the clothes clean, but a chance to visit with the neighbors! Hugs!