Get Ready! It’s Showtime!

There’s a knock on the dressing room door . . . “Hey, are all thirty-nine of you actors ready to roll?? The director needs to see everyone on stage now!”

Ten minutes before the show opens . . . get READY-- time to break a leg!

Traditionally, if you want to wish someone good luck before a theater performance, do not say good luck but instead, say break a leg!

During a summer performance at our community theater, thirty-nine young cast members waited nervously backstage . . .

try keeping this many children ages four to fourteen quiet and ready for the house lights to dim and curtains to open! ( I won’t mention how long it took to get each child ready with make-up and costumes–just believe me when I say, it took one helluva time!!)

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts . . . William Shakespeare

Last minute scene, make-up and prop adjustments and finally, all actors are ready and on stage for The Great Cross-Country Race.

The lights go down, the curtain opens . . . the audience is ready– let the show begin!!!

Inspiration: Weekly Photo Challenge: Ready

Weekly photo challenge

32 thoughts on “Get Ready! It’s Showtime!

1. Lori Franks says:

I love theater! We lived in a small town in Oregon where there was a fantastic community theater. I miss it very much and I miss the director. I always wonder where she gets all her energy! Get pictures…made me smile!

Hehe 2eOmca . . . no legs broken, just a few sudden on-stage, fright illness and heat exhaustion due to heavy costumes. Other than that, the show was a success and the children gained an experience to remember. I appreciate your visit! Thanks!!

2. thirdhandart says:

Wow! Anyone who can corral thirty-nine children backstage until the curtain opens has my respect. Great entry to the challenge!

A one-in-a-lifetime experience I would recommend to anyone desiring to learn, quickly, the art of patience and compassion. 🙂
      Thank you thirdhandart for stopping by!

3. islandbliss101 says:

Such a fun and exciting version of “Ready.” Shows like this are just exicting, more if we a part of it or someone we know. I still remember how my heart was raising when my sister played the role of the lead in Ms. Saigon during a school place. Unforgettable. This words lingered life a sweet song of today’s show…”All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts . . . ” He was right! Have a blessed day…

HI Island bliss! Theater, acting, backstage helping, being in the audience, are all wonderful activities suited for all ages! I bet your sister was just delightful in her lead role as Ms. Saigon. Now I want to see that play . . . thanks for idea!
      God bless!

I forgot how much fun (and work) goes with play performances. We are lucky to have a small
      community theater in our small town. Maybe you have a theater in your area you could look into Lorrelee?
      What started out as a way to get my kids active in the community has grown over to my space now.
      I hope you find your way back to the stage–and when you do, “break a leg!” (In advance! Haha!)