Visiting the Library Leads to Prayer

Choa Chu Kang Community Library, Singapore.

Image via Wikipedia

Yay! Today, a trip to the public library completed my day. If you are a parent, and you don’t frequent the library, shame, shame on you! Just kidding. Let me start over.

If you own a personal library in your home, then you need to stop reading and move on to something else.

We don’t have a comprehensive, personal library in our home, so, weekly library visits are always a welcomed treat. If your public library is well-managed and well-funded, you could spend hours going through the variety of resources available to use at the library as well as check out materials.

For example, my two boys love to hop on the computers to play a few on-line games and download their music since the computers run on the speed of light compared to our slow-as-molasses computer at home.

My youngest daughter finds entertainment in the glamour and gossip magazine section as well as the young teen books, especially books that feature vampires and werewolves! I don’t see the attraction but I’m cool, as long as she’s reading!

Today I picked up River Jordan’s  book, Praying for a Stranger. I started reading it and thought, what a great idea!

God,  my main squeeze, sign me on!! I think I can handle this task.

When I got home, my first prayer for a stranger came in my email from the church secretary:

A lady stopped by my office this morning, asking for special prayers.  She’s got lots and lots on her own plate to deal with, asked for very little, but wanted me to especially pass on this particular request.

Her name is Rhonda.  Her grandson, 12 years old, is Joshua. Rhonda said that Joshua is quite ill and is facing serious medical procedures to radiate a pituitary tumor.
Josh will need to be quarantined and isolated from all contact while preparing for the radiotherapy.  Rhonda knows that our God will keep him comforted while his mom and grandma wait patiently until they can hug him, but asked that we all keep him in our prayers.
Boy, that didn’t take long huh?
Well, g’night my mates! I’m off now to have a little chit-chat with THE ONE concerning Rhonda and Joshua . . .
Check out  River Jordan‘s website for information about the writer and discussion questions for her book, Praying for Strangers.
~Sunshine xoxo

18 thoughts on “Visiting the Library Leads to Prayer

1. fgassette says:

Lifting Joshua up in prayer to our Great Healer. May God hear our prayer as we stand in the gap in Joshua and his family’s behalf. We know that God’s power is magnified through our weaknesses and infirmities.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

2. Bongo says:

Praying for Joshua. What a hard thing for a twelve year old to go through. My person’s regular prayers for strangers include being on the prayer team for some missionaries she knows. The missionaries regularly send out prayer requests for people they know.

Thank you Bongo for carrying some of the load for Joshua. Illness at any age is tough but for a young person maybe more so. You have an awesome person, but I know you already know. 🙂
      See ya laters!!

I agree with you diggingher! Thankful for Wikipedia images 🙂
      Yes, I hope you get a chance to read River Jordan’s book. I love her name . . . 🙂 Thank you!

3. Arindam says:

Really nice post. Even I plan to have my personal library in my home someday. 🙂
    One more thing, I just want to inform you that, I pass on a blog award “The Versatile Blogger Award” to your blog. For details you can check my latest post.

This is excellent–I love my library (not the home one, but the one I ride the bus to). I’ll have to get that book, sounds very good! Thanks for the tip! God bless you abundantly.

Hey Caddo,
      My apologies getting back to you so late. . . winter storms makes internet service very sporadic!
      I miss riding buses–small town so we have no bus system. 😦
      Hope you can get the book at your library–it’s an easy read and so inspiring too! I hope to see you over at your place soon. (Still working away on the ABC award . . . ) Thanks!

I often find myself in this situation of neglecting those outside my immediate circle. Hmmn, perhaps this is the reason the book got put in my path eh? Hey, thanks Lorrelee for your insight 🙂