Snack to Live or Live to Snack?

Almond Joy

Why does this bother me?

Snacking.

Don’t get me wrong. I love to eat all types of snacky foods especially chip and dip, Almond Joys and even a handful of healthy trail mix–of course, with the M and M candies included.

No, it’s not the snack, but the constant need in my household to snack what seems to be like every minute. Okay, okay…exaggerated time to make my point. If I kept a log, let’s say, from breakfast until lunch for a typical Saturday morning, this is what you may observe:

0830: Breakfast served. A hearty bacon, eggs and toast breakfast with lots of hot coffee and milk to wash it all down. Everyone eats until satisfied. At least they all look full, content and satisfied.

0900 or at least around this time: Person A opens the fridge and finds a soda pop to drink. Fridge door closes.

0926: Person B rummage around the pantry and finds some chips to eat or something that sounds crunchy like chips.

1000: Person A opens the fridge (again) and whips out the leftover jello and whip cream dessert from dinner the night before, and consumes it right from the main dessert bow! Snacking voids out all table manners folks.

1028: Person C opens the freezer and microwaves a snack wrap burrito thingy. Seriously, we just had breakfast not too long ago and lunch is coming around in less than two hours?

1042: Person B yells to Person A something nasty like, “You knew that was my soda, why did you drink it!!”

Answer from Person A: “Because I was thirsty?”

Person B, totally upset over this turn of events,  grabs the jug of ice tea and calms and nurses the jagged nerves that flared up so typically when you wanted the last soda pop in the fridge.

1118: I smell Pop-Tarts toasting in the toaster. Person C obviously still hungry after the burrito snack consumed @ 1028.

1200: Lunch served. A hot, thick-crusted, loaded with everything on it, pizza and healthy bowl of salad.

Persons A to C sit down and eat like they have never eaten a single thing since breakfast.

You probably guessed the three persons A to C are teenagers.

After reading the Freshly Pressed article, Death of Anticipation , I’ve gone into serious reflections on this snacking when we want or snacking because we are really, really hungry and starving to death.

Am I teaching a good life lesson by allowing snack time to go unchecked as far as time goes? And if you say, stock up on healthier snacks, then what do I do when the mayhem and revolution start?

16 thoughts on “Snack to Live or Live to Snack?

1. Maggie L R says:

I love this post… I know what you mean…I have a teenage boy living in my house… he devours everything in sight.. (except the salad). He recently found out that too much pop can be a bad thing and has taken to guzzling water for which I am thankful.

Oh, too funny Maggie…”except the salad!” This is so typical and my youngest suddenly decided he rather drink juice and has shunned (somewhat) the soda pop. Who knew right?
      Love when you visit! 🙂

2. Lori Franks says:

This brought back memories of when my two boys still lived at home. When they finally moved out our grocery bill dropped in half! I say let them eat…they are growing after all! 🙂

Wow! Grocery bill slashed down 50%?? Sounds like a dream and I’ll follow your advice Lori…at least the main meals are heartily consumed so why get bent out of shape. Okay, just send me back to my desk…me be quiet now.
      Thanks Lori! 🙂

3. Bongo says:

I have a teenager at home too. He eats when and what he wants, but I figure as he get older and needs to cut down he’ll also be buying his own food so that probably won’t be a problem for him.

Good advice Bongo…I’m taking it and depositing it in the future box. Erm, hope you don’t find me blogging about grown children still living at home, jobless and still snacking like there’s no tomorrow 😦 Please send out a rescue team to save me…okay????

4. literarychicks78 says:

I would like to know how teenagers can eat that much and not get fat. It seems that all I have to do is look at a piece of strawberry shortcake, and the fat flies from the plate and attatches itself to my skin.

5. eof737 says:

They are growing and the food slips in and slides out… Let them eat their snacks please. You balance them out with healthy meals anyway. 🙂

You’re right Liz, thanks…feeling less guilty and besides, being such a push-over and a softy that I am, any changes now would really put me out of commission.
      I’m thankful for the extra food we do have. 🙂 and
      very thankful to all of you who came over and talked this over with me.
      Awesome!