Where Did They Go Mama?

I miss the lost art of knitting done not in private, but knitting out in public places. Sitting in the doctors or dentist office as a child,  I remember watching one or two women waiting and knitting.

Illustration from "Vivilore: The Pathway ...

It seemed such a peaceful activity as they sat oblivious to everything going around them including my brother and I reeking havoc with all the other kids in the waiting room. Now that is what you call intense FOCUS! My mom did not knit so alas, I am, I feel, a deprived soul contributing to this lost art. Not that I blame my mom, but it does make it far more difficult to learn as an adult. I have tried many, and I mean many, how-to-knit books and DVD’s but either it’s my laziness, (most likely the real reason) stupidity (this could also be the real problem) or my plain lack of talent (waaahhhh!!!) that consistently produces lovely yarn sweaters messes!!

Puck making a mess with a ball of yarn

Don't blame me, I am just the house cat...

So, I know what you are thinking, why don’t you take knitting classes or find a person say, from church to teach you. Believe me, I have tried. I have approached every woman who may look like she knits from my church  and my usual response is, “WWHHHaatt!! Meeeee knit??? You gotta be kiddin’ me!”  The other thing is, living in a very small rural town you would think someone would be available to help this poor knitting deprived soul. I am beginning to suspect however, that some of the women are secretly knitting  and meeting every week at their social knitting club down in the church fellowship hall. Yeah, I have seen the empty coffee cups and the cookie and sandwich crumbs every so often down there. Oh, and I would like to know who just anonymously donated all the assorted knitted items for the Christmas Bazaar auction??? See, this is how “lost art” begins. You stop teaching the next generation and soon only a handful of people practice the art and boom, next thing you know, it is gone.

A little dexterity is helpful in working with ...

Well, I really wish all the knitting womenpeople would come back and fill all the waiting rooms with their knitting because I sure do miss seeing all the creation that came out of the tiny ball of yarn. It’s pretty amazing.

Are you into knitting? If so, how did you learn your craft?  Was it passed down to you or self-taught? Ohh, if you belong to a knitting club, please share a bit what your group does. At least I can dream about knitting through your club!

See you back here tomorrow and I’m imagining (all) the knitted sweater photos I will one day post! Haha…

Sunshine

Credits and Inspiration for this post comes from Wikipedia (photos) and Daily WP #303, What do you miss?

20 thoughts on “Where Did They Go Mama?

I did attempt to crochet last summer with my youngest daughter and we borrowed the entire library (so it seemed) and I must say my daughter surpassed me in every way!
      She could read the instructions and follow along but not me….epic failure. 😦
      Right now I just look at all the pictures in the knitting/crochet books and dream….one day I will master it.
      Thanks for the tip and I will give it a try again, that is, if I can get off WordPress. 🙂

1. J says:

(Thanks for the link to my blog post)

I knit, but only scarves (although thanks to some blog inspiration I saw this morning, I may try a knitted patchwork blanket). Now what I do in doctor’s waiting rooms / waiting outside dance classes, is embroider, I may be very much the only person in my town to do this (and it’s a large town), so I do feel a little bit the odd ball sometimes, but I don’t care (and in doctor’s waiting rooms especially, it’s very calming). I do occasionally (if I’m doing a scarf and I don’t have any embroidery to do) take my knitting out instead and again I am the lone odd ball.

As for how I learnt, my mum knitted and I have vague memories of her trying to teach me and me knitting very wonky scarves, I then didn’t pick up a knitting needle for years and years and years, so I had to re teach myself, I did find books a bit mystifying (still do), so I had to resort to Youtube videos, those helped (along with I think a little bit of latent memory from when I did it as a kid).

Thank you for your time and the tip about Youtube videos. I didn’t think to look over there. 🙂
      I enjoy seeing all the (few) needle workers peacefully waiting and creating!

2. RVingGirl says:

Excellent blog. It was calming even to watch knitters though isn’t it? I remember my god-mother knitting me a pair of wool socks one christmas years and years ago. I also remember they were the scratchiest and most uncomfortable socks I ever wore. But, hey, nice gesture.
    I myself crochet. The first year we took a 3 month trip on our RV, I crocheted a king size blanket for my granddaughter. And I finished it. It was fun to do across the Prairies and through the mountains as we chug-a-lugged along.

I feel calmed thinking about your trip and you with the crochet. Did you learn crochet from your god-mother? Just wondering….hey, thanks for stopping by!

3. Kana Tyler says:

The most prolific knitter of my acquaintance was my ex-brother-in-law (an airline pilot) who always had an afghan in progress… And yes, he toted that thing in public with him–I always wondered if he had knitting needles in his pilot’s carry-on… 😉

4. eof737 says:

It’s never too late to learn to knit. There is an avid group in my area and they teach and also sell the yarn. I learned to knit as a child in school but never really took to creating things with yarn. I admire knitters who make sweaters and what have yous… 🙂

5. jmlindy422 says:

I learned to knit from my grandmother. I should say, she tried to teach me. I didn’t really get started knitting until I was in my 20s, then let it slide, then picked it up again in the last 10 years or so. I love making socks! They are fun to give, fun to knit and people think they were really hard to do. They aren’t. I used to knit in church, but I don’t go to church anymore!

I think it would be easier to learn how to knit from an actual person rather than a book or DVD. Hum, socks eh?
      Will attempt it one day….perhaps if I make it to retirement. 🙂 I appreciate your time and story. Thank you!

6. Gilly Goldsworthy says:

I grew up knitting and gave it up as a teenager when it wan’t cool but when I had babies I knitted and crocheted for them. i kept it up for quite a few years especially when I discovered Phildar wool and its beautiful patterns. And then suddenly the wools shops disappeared in my town and life became busier. The shops are back now because its trendy again but when I’ve tried recently it makes my hands ache too much so I stick to other crafts sadly. But recently I met a lady at a craft show with the most stunning blankets ever and they were made from just squares of different textured yarns. So, don’t give up try making six inch squares instead of attempting an aran jumper!

Thanks Gilly,
      I bet those textured yarn blankets are a delight to the eyes as well as functional.
      Will keep trying…one day it may click!