- Benny and Joon is a great movie! Basically it involves a very loving and caring brother Benny, who, through no fault of his own, over protects his baby sister (Joon) who suffers from a mental instability and becomes stabilized with medication and constant supervision. Benny, often challenged and many times overwhelmed by his sister, one day gains a housekeeper Sam, played by Johnny Depp, after losing a poker game debt. Sam’s observation of Joon is:
You know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she’s pretty normal.
- So, Sam, the eccentric misfit of a housekeeper, finds himself drawn to Joon and together they help bring the best out in each other. Sam helps Joon to grow into her own life apart from Benny and Joon helps Sam discover some of his unusual gifts. As Roger Ebert quoted in his own review of the show:
The first time we see Sam, riding on the bus, he’s reading a book about the silent clown Buster Keaton. This is not idle curiosity. Sam has somehow determined to internalize the genius of Keaton, Chaplin and the other early screen comedians, and although he never says that out loud, either, it becomes clear in a gradual, unforced way, as he incorporates bits from their films into his daily life.
- I love this next dialogue Sam and Joon have about raisins…..
- Sam: You don’t like raisins?
- Joon: Not really.
- Sam: Why?
- Joon: They used to be fat and juicy and now they’re twisted. They had their lives stolen. Well, they taste sweet, but really they’re just humiliated grapes. I can’t say I am a big supporter of the raisin council.
- Sam: Did you see those, those raisins on TV? The ones that sing and dance and stuff?
- Joon: They scare me.
- Sam: Yeah me too
- Joon: It’s sick. The commercial people they make them sing and dance so people will eat them.
- Sam: It’s a shame about raisins.
- There you have it….my mini review (with a few extra favorite part of the film) of Benny and Joon, a romantic comedy with the talented Johnny Depp.
- Oh, and I am not sure if I can use this video but this is a must see part of the film…..enjoy! 🙂
- —you tube video